Monday, September 28, 2015

River Wars

River Wars was on Saturday.  Great fencing weather, overcast, cool but not cold, breezy, a little humid, looked like it would rain a few times, but splendid fencing weather overall.  There was very little traffic, and all the worry about the Pope being in Philly was for naught.

The format was interesting, in that it was the MODs/OGRs each held a spot on the field and the non-OGRs came to us.  It was three passes, not best 2-3.  We were asked to give feedback after the bouts with our opponents.  I really enjoyed the format overall.  I think I fenced 14 people as part of the tournament.  I know exactly how many fights I lost, but to me, it wasn't about wins and losses, and that in many ways is unusual.  I had a blast fencing, and it allowed me to give some concrete feedback during my bouts.

I got to do some pickups after the tournament.  I really enjoyed fencing +Caitrin M even though we were both gassed and she was hurting a bit.  I don't get to fence her enough.  I did some pickups and authorizations with two handed swords in preparation for the Oct 1 rule changes.  I authorized +Patrick Panico and +Michael Fina, thus increasing the available pool of marshals who can authorize people.

During court, I was very pleased to help induct +ivan nosenchuk into the Order of the Silver Crescent by giving him the medallion I have worn for the past 2+ years.

Post event, it was dinner at The House of Brews with +Thomas Zadlo+Cathy Griswold , +Timothy Walsh, and +Caitrin M.  This is now a tradition having gone there three years in a row.  The food was good, the company was better.  The beer selection this year was not as impressive.  The drive home was ok, but when we got home, I showered and crashed hard.

My favorite part of the day though was watching Evan playing with daggers and the joy he had on his face while doing so.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment