Monday, April 29, 2019

Balfar's Challenge Recap

Balfar's Challenge was this past weekend.  I had scheduled some pickup fights last week, as I was not planning on participating in the melees.  I had my gear packed up on Friday night.  Saturday morning, I left the house early to pick up Edana.  I got to her place around 7 and we were onsite and parked at 9:30.  I am very glad we got there early, so we could get parking that was close.

After trolling in, I got dressed in as many layers as I could be comfortable in.  It was cold, windy, and it drizzled every now and again.  I had the popup with me, but took it down when the winds decided to shift.  This was after it broke the two next to me, picking up one and tossing it into the parking lot.  Thankfully it didn't damage any of the cars there.


  1. After getting suited up and ready, I fought Don Robert Earlson.  It was a very fun, challenging series of passes.  
  2. They I fought Alastair Tucker with my feder.  He took his longsword.  He is quickly becoming one of those people that I plan to seek out and fence at all opportunities.  He's a very fun fight.
  3. Next up as Master Caine Ramsey.  Like always, a very fun fight.  He told me I was leaning way in, as he could not remember the last time he ever had a clean shot at my head.
  4. I then did a single pass with Don (to become Master later that day) Llewellyn Walsh as part of his vigil.  I had him on range and was able to catch his shot with my hand and deflect it out of the way.  He is a great addition to the peerage and I am very proud of my nephew.
  5. Master Remy Delemontagne da Gascogne was my next fight.  I was getting control of his blade but then as he pointed out, I was doing nothing with it.  I was trying to force him to attack or react, and then counter from there, but I was not doing such a good job.  By that point the flied of mud had gotten worse, and not wanting to move my feet much, I was not taking advantage where I could have.  Lesson learned, now to try and implement it.
  6. Dona Lilias de Cheryngton was my next opponent.  For some reason, I kept getting bound by her offhand.  Maybe I had been relying on my dagger to much on the close that day.  I'm not sure why I kept winding up where I did not want to be.  I wish I had video of it.
  7. My last opponent of the day was Don Brendan Firebow.  A spirited set of bouts with an opponent who knows me well, and whom I know just as well.  We are very evenly matched overall.  Again, I was finding his blade but not gaining on it.  HE showed me a few things, and I hope to put that into practice.
While fencing Don Brendan, my right foot started to cramp, which means that shortly thereafter my ankle would be done for the day.  I took a break, hoping to be able to fence more.  I wanted to pick some more fights, but instead helped Sir Antonio run some authorizations.  I was hoping to get some passes with him, but after the authorization bout i fought against Oscar, I was toast.  It started to drizzle more, so I packed my gear away in the car, and grabbed an ice pack for the ankle.  

While the melee drills were going on, I was able to give Oliva and Dominico a little advice from the sidelines.  

All packed up, my ankle was starting to throb, so I was just waiting for Edana to be ready to go.  While I would have loved to stay for court, between the ankle, the long drive, and the weather, I just wanted to be on my way.  We were making good time getting home but hunger had hit, so while stopped for a bathroom break at a rest area, I checked on places to eat in Stamford, CT.   We wound up at a place called: Bedford Hall.  The food was delicious.  Edana and I bouth ordered the same things: Onion Soup and Shrimp and Grits.  We split the fried Brussels sprouts appetizer and a dessert.  If I am ever passing through that way again and I am hungry, I will be sure to go back.

Traffic was thankfully not too bad, even on the Cross Bronx.  We made it back to her place where I dropped her off and then I was home around 10:45 after stopping for gas.  Glad to be home, I popped some Advil and then off to sleep I went.

I missed a lot of people I had hoped to get some passes with.  I hope to catch them and more next time I am out at an event... and oh look, I will be at Crown Tournament and I hear there is a place for fencing pickups.  I plan to bring my gear so if you are going and want to fence, please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment