Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Barony Wars - Part 2

So part two of the epic journey into Aethelmearc.  I traveled to the event with Jennie, my girlfriend, and Ray (Sean MacPherson in the SCA).  We got on the road late on Friday and had a hotel room nearby.  So did a couple of other Scadians, William Deth and Rhiannon the Curious.  Ray saw them Friday night, and we ran into them again Saturday morning.  This will be referenced later.  The hotel was.... adequate.  It had two beds, a bathroom, and was clean enough.  The bed and pillows were hard as rocks.  I slept like the dead Friday night after the drive.

Saturday, we got onsite and I was pleasantly surprised by the number of fencers in attendance.  It was a great turn out.  The Tadcasters brought a large group up from the Philly area.  there were five from the Albany Area, a few other Eastern Fencers here and there.  There were a good number from Aethelmearc as well.  I'm not sure if that was because their crown was making a new white scarf, but there was a good number of fencers both those I know and those I am unfamiliar with.  This made for some great fencing both in the organized stuff and in pickups.  Every corner of the fencing field was being used for pickups after the tournaments and melees.  

At court, Po was admitted to the order of the white scarf.  I would not have missed that for the world.  It was filled with all the schtick one would expect from Po.  After court, discussions were had on dinner.  Will and Rhi had seen a place in the town we were staying at that was named "Angus and Ale".  Can you think of anything better after a good event?
https://www.facebook.com/AngusAndAle

So back to the hotel we went.  I got showered up and changed, and off to dinner in Sidney, NY.  I passed by the place following Will and didn't even see it.  We walked in and I was surprised.  The greeter/manager forgot to assign a waitress to our table so they pulled in someone who worked there, but was on her night off  and sitting at the attached pub having a few drinks to come wait on us.  She was a trip and while the food was excellent, incredible perhaps, the service was fun and friendly, and not stuffy, which looking at teh decor and place, would have been appropriate   After getting back to teh hotel I think I was out before I hit the sheets.

The drive back, I stuck to the interstates, and we were making such good time, we detoured to teh warren County 4-H Renn Faire that our local SCA group was doing a demo at.  I did a little fencing, before getting buckler punched by Sir Jan, in his first attempt at SCA Rapier.  I was not feeling great after that.  My chest and shoulder were hurting.  So I stopped fencing and we headed for home soon thereafter making fro one wonderful weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment