Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Practice report -10/13/15

Last night, I decided to take my buckler to practice with me.  It was the first time I have used it in a very long time.  I had problems fencing a buckler fighter in the first round of the 16 at K&Q.  I figure the best way to learn how to defeat a weapon form is to study its use from the other side.

My buckler is a wavy buckler in the style of Marozzo.  I made it out of leather a few years ago.   It was the first leather tooling project I ever undertook.  After last night, I need to rework the handle on the buckler as it is way too tight to the back of the shield.

I fenced Garrick with it while he took cloak.  It was some interesting exchanges, and it forced me out of my comfort zone of staying linear.  It was a fun set of passes.  I took one that left a very interesting bruise from the chain shirt, up my arm from the bicep to shoulder.

I then did some passes with Ciaren, again working with buckler.  My left hand cramped up bad, from the handle being so tight.  I switched to dagger, but the hand was pretty much done for the night.  I did some passes with Jonathon, but the pain in my left  hand was intense. Not the practice I would have liked after this weekend, but I'll take it.

I need to figure  out a way to stand the handle a bit further off my buckler.   I'm thinking I'll but a wood block that will go between the handle and the back of the shield.

No comments:

Post a Comment