Thursday, October 8, 2015

Practice Report - 10/6

The weather was much better this week for practice.  I didn't feel sluggish due to heat or humidity.  This week I was working with a new blade.  I bought a blade from Castille Armory and wanted to break it in and see how it  moved, so I could make a determination if I would be using that blade or another one at K&Q this weekend.

My first fight was with Orlando, and we went out single.  I was not used to the change with the blade, so I was working on just figuring out the differences.  The balance point was a little further out than I was used to.  After the fight, I swapped out the pommel for one with a little more weight.

My next passes were with Garrick.  He is back to fencing with full contact.  I still want to be extra cautious with him though.  I had one shot that was aimed for his head.  I broke my wrist and changed the angle of the shot, going passe with the point, rather than hitting him in the mask.  It was one of those shots that I felt, had I landed it, the blade would not have bent, so I'd prefer not to hurt him (or anyone else) if I can prevent it.  That little bit of extra weight in the pommel helped out.  The balance point is about 1" in front of the guard now.

After Garrick, I picked a fight with Bethany.  I told her I wanted to work on my tournament game.  She was up for it and I brought my A game out with rapier and dagger.  After Bethany, I fought Ciaren.  Again, I was working my way up for this weekend.  Then is was some passes with Malcolm.  I wrapped it up a little early so we could get Evan home and in bed.

Overall, this is the least confident I have been in a long time heading into K&Q.  I'm not sure where my game is overall in comparison to years past.  The good thing is I 'm having fun, something I was not about a year ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment