Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Settmour Practice - 9/19

Its much harder to get up to Glen Gardener for practice.  I used to be about half an hour away.  Now the practice is at least 90 minutes away.  Thankfully, the drive is made easier with some companionship.  Last night, my amazing cadet joined me for the trek up and back.  We had some good conversation on all sorts of topics, fencing and non-fencing related.

Ellynor wanted to work on case, so we went out to work on that.  I took my rapier and dagger out against her.  After making her work her left hand, by cancelling out her right, she was getting a better feel for the form.  She was still letting me get up the middle on her.  We went outside where there was some airflow and talked about it.  I showed her a different technique for fencing case, which seemed to make more sense to her.  She was able to process it and put it into play that same evening.

I then went out and did some passes with Master Orlando.  We both took buckler and it was back and forth, with him besting me more often.  I was not getting the control on him with my buckler that I am normally am able to achieve.  He hit me with some very pretty shots, one a slow thrust that I was expecting to deflect with the buckler, which he just went right over it.  I love fencing him as he pushes me with any and every form.

I then broke out the long sword for some passes with Duke Omega.  It was a fun fight, well paced, and not like I would have expected prior to the bouts.  On our last bout, we were both moving forward and he hit me right between the muscles in the shoulder (I think he hit bone).  That caused me to have to pause for a bit.

I then fought Duchess Caoilfhionn with the long sword.  When we got more room and it changed from a linear fight to one where she was moving around, the fight changed significantly.  On our last pass, I caught her flatfoot and with a stouter blow than intended.  We talked it over afterwards, as I was not the only one to catch her with a hard shot.

I was done for the night, as the heat and humidity were oppressive inside.  I talked with Jeff of Biscuits about how to get inside a long swords reach.  Omega helped me with the demonstration.  Then I showed Caoilfionn a few opportunities and ways to use half-swording to her advantage when pressed.

It was nice to have Ellynor to drive back with.  Last week, Jennie and Evan were with me.  The long drive home was made much easier by having company.  I've offered a ride to others who live down in the Iron Bog area.  Hopefully they will take me up on it.


No comments:

Post a Comment