Monday, September 10, 2018

Ducal Challenge

I had a good time at Ducal Challege. The roads were wet and we left a bit later than we had hoped. I really need to remember to pack the night before. We were staying Saturday night at my parent's house, so we had to do some extra, non-event related packing.

We got to the site, checked in at troll, and then to the MOL table. I dropped the tray of baklava on the rapier prize table. The ground was damp and there was a slight slope to where we were to be fencing, so I opted to use a two handed sowrd in the list, rather than risk going for a lunge and hurting myself (as my ankle had been bothering me for a few days).

The pools were called, and I wound up in a great list with Justin Aucoin, David Tanguay, Matthew Kriebel, BobbyTights, Ilene Boucher, Kate Sokol, Annie Mohawk, Douglas Brooks, Nicolas Ferrero, Lindsay Gobin and one other who I cannot recall. A newly authorized fencer was very nervous when going to the list, so I talked to her a bit, hopefully got her to relax and have some fun. McCoy Munoz and Daniel Vildoso, thank you for marshalling our pool. I had a good day in the pool, coming out without any losses.

There was a break before the 16, so I got in to crongratulate Whitney Sternberg on her impending elevation as we would not be able to stay for court. She is going to make an awesome peer of the society.

I should have stopped in to see Ellesbeth Donofrey, but timing was not in my favor. Congratulations Ellesbeth Donofrey, well deserved, and you have been a force of nature for good in the society for many years.

In the 16, my first pairing was with Ray Edwards, of course. I missed him by " " that much..... but it was a great fun bout. I miss you terribly my brother.

Second round was against Mike Bannon. He knows me well so I had to change things up on him. I was lucky to leg him, but i forget how long his reach is for a guy who is not so tall. He was almost able to get me a few times, so I had to be cautious and setup and wait for my shot.

Third round was the baby OGR, Doroga. I came in under him, and it was a beautiful double tap, first to the belly and then light tap on cup. We laughed about it, but it was a good bout.

My final bout of the day was with Frank Hetherington III. I over extended and took too long to recover and he pounced on the opening and hit me so nice and clean. Every time I fence him, he continues to get better and better.

In the prize selection phase, I was lucky enough that my first choice was still there, so I have added another piece of art to the Thomas V. Berger gallery.

It was fun to see Evan playing with Turi and Kathleen's children and Lukesand Erikas' son. They are all so cute together. We packed up and headed to my parents' house to get changed and drop off Evan.

After a quick snack, we headed to Antonio and Stacey's house, where we knew people would be heading for dinner. We arrived and Marietta was there waiting for the food, but Christopher Butler was waiting at the train station, so I volunteered to pick him up. It was nice chatting with them both when we got back to the house before everyone got back from the event. I somehow managed to hurt myself when walking. Ice pack was gotten and I put my leg up for a bit. I did it again later in the evening. Not sure what happened, but Rachael Dufford got me her cane so I had some support. (good to have a cadet who likes to fight rigid parry).

We got back to my parents' house and tried to pass out, but a little boy takes up a lot of room in the bed. I woke up and made another tray of baklava for Rosh Hashannah dinner that evening. Jennie, Evan, and I headed out for dim sum with Miriam H Friedman Berger, Tom, Tina Edana, Maxine Lee. As always the food was good, but the company was better.

I passed out for a nap on the couch during the Giants game. Dinner with the family was had, and we headed home. It was a good weekend, but I want to know where it went.

No comments:

Post a Comment