Sunday, September 23, 2018

River War

We were running a little later than I had hoped but I still made it in time to fence in the first tournament, Collin's Body Parts tournament.  I have fenced in this format before and while I don't care for it, I had fun fencing.  I think I only lost one or two bouts in my pool, likely to Eldrich and/or Melchior.  Eldrich and Thomas dB made it to the finals with 16 points a piece. I forget who won. 

Lorenzo was going to run a cut and thurst tournament, but there was only one entrant, so instead he ran a single rapier or rapier and buckler tournament.  I went out with single rapier.  I used my 36" blade.   There were about 13 entrants.  I took a bye in the 2nd round to rest my knee (more on that later).  I had some wonderful passes, pulled off a beautiful attack vs Atilla, and lost to James in the final.  He pulled off a beautiful attack/body void and I tagged him late in the back.  I decided to rest up for the remainder of the day, and my cadet was forcing me to sit out.

I think I either strained or slightly tore my MCL a few weeks back while we were on vacation in NC.  I am feeling pain on the inside of my left knee and the joint feels unstable.  There is sometimes a lot of pain or a little pain depending on what I've been doing.  It was bearable, just feeling like I had tweaked it, but its been getting progressively worse.  The most painful time is putting on socks, shoes, underwear, and pants/shorts, becuase of twisting the leg to get them on.  I wore a knee brace while fencing yesterday, and I'm sure it helped.  Between bouts I was talking with Thomas dB and telling him how I felt like i had no push from my back leg due to the knee.  So, next bout, what do I do?  A full lunge with a beuatiful shot at my opponent.  I paid dearly for it.  I was not intending on throwing that shot, instinct took over.  So for the time being, if I fence, I have to figure out a way to limit the damage I do to the joint and the pain I will cause myself.  I am going to try and see a doctor next week to at least get an evaluation. 

I am not sure if I will be going to coronation or not this coming weekend.  I had hoped to go, but it is up in the air.

#GettingOldSucks

No comments:

Post a Comment