Sunday, August 26, 2012

Get a Grip - Custom Rapier Handles

So today I went to pick up a new band saw at Harbor Freight.  The local store was out of the table top one, and the Ryobi band saw was only $10, but I was running late and Ray Edwards was already at my house waiting for me.  So Jennie and I picked Ray up, we had lunch, and then it was off to Home Depot.  Got the band saw and the lines for the cashiers were long, so to self checkout we go.  I lifted the band saw up and scanned it.  Jennie hoisted it back into the cart, and the guy working the self checkout line said to her "Did you just lift that all by yourself?  Damn!" to which she replied the affirmative.  He was impressed, and she continues to impress me daily.  So back home we go and unpack the band saw.

Box Edler Burl
We tried to turn a handle on the lathe, but trying to use a rectangular stock just wasn't working.  I tried to cut it down on the chop saw and the piece sort of exploded.  Thank god for quick reaction.  So Jennie and I went out to pick up a few more supplies and stuff for dinner.  While we were gone, Ray was able to start and complete the Box Edler Burl grip for his rapier.


Redheart Handles





We then cut the Redheart for Don Orlando's grips.  As you can see, the Redheart makes for a gorgeous handle.  Ray did most of the work on these.

Argentine Osange Orange






For Brendan Firebow, we used the Argentine Osage Orange.  This was a long grip, measuring just about 5" long.  I did the majority of the work on this grip.
Work completed on August 26, 2012
So we were able to get four new handles done, and I am very happy with how each one turned out.  So if you're for a way to make your rapier stand out, let us know.

2 comments: