Tuesday, August 14, 2012

One Duelist's Tale

Its the first time in many years where I have come back from a Pennsic excited about fencing.  It was a good Pennsic, a relaxed Pennsic, one that has re-instilled something I think I lost over the last few years.  At this year's Pennsic, I did more fencing than I had in past years.  Still not as much as I would have hoped to do, but it was better quality than what I have been putting out there.  I can trace the a-ha moment when things seemed to click for me and I rediscovered my love for the fight... but more on that later.

I started SCA rapier in December of 2002 as a way of continuing to rehab from an ankle injury.  At the time, I was out of work, 10 years younger than I am today, and was able to hit 2-3 practices a week.  Usually it was the South Orange and Piscataway practices.  At the time, South Orange for me was focusing on drills and technique and Piscataway allowed me to play more and bout.  I fenced a lot of single rapier for a while, authorizing in April of 2003.  My goal was to just have fun, but soon discovered that winning was more fun for me than losing.  After my first Pennsic, I set a goal of being on the East Kingdom Rapier Champions team.  This is still one of my continuing goals when it comes to SCA rapier.  I want to be considered among the best in the kingdom and the SCA.

The second goal for me is to be named as a companion of the Order of the Golden Rapier.  Again, this is to be accepted into an order for the best in the kingdom.  Acceptance in a group has always been something that I have strived for, that feeling of belonging.  I can get into a whole lot of regression and therapy here, but lets just say that I've felt like I have had to fight for acceptance in every group I have belonged to.  From childhood until today, I have always been a shy person, who no matter what has always felt on the outside, having to battle my way to being accepted.  I know in the past that some have called me arrogant while on and off the field.  Well that was a shell I used to protect myself.  Over the last year, I have learned to open up a lot more.

A few years ago, I set another goal, which is to be named Queen's Champion of Rapier.  While anyone can have a great day in a list and take the overall tournament, I want to be the guy that people look at and think he's good, honorable, clean... all the virtues that one would associate with the selection.  This is a much harder goal, but one I try to take with me in every tournament, practice, and melee.

So where was I after this diatribe....

Pennsic... something clicked there this year and I actually had fun.  It had been a while since I have come back from Pennsic more excite than before going to Pennsic.  I only had a couple of issues with calibration, once in the cadet tournament with a guy from Northshield who had he hit me with the chop I took on the dagger would have probably broken my wrist, and a weird shot over and around a dead guy in the first field battle where the blade was not able to bend due to the person between us.

This year I was tapped to be Co-Commander of the Southern Region Rapier Army with Griffith.  To celebrate, the week before Pennsic, a few of us made a Southern Region Army banner (Molle, Antionio, Malcolm, Charity, and myself).  I flew the banner on the edge of the field during the town battle on Monday. During the armored battle, I tied it to Baron Jabril's spear so he could carry it in as the commander of the Southern Region's armored units.  The banner got a little war torn, so we got it repaired and I got a pole to hoist it on.  Prior to Tuesday's terrain battle (building/broken field/open field), I had asked Baron Larry if after I carried it into the fight, he would grab it and carry it back in.  Later in the melee, Lilia carried the banner back into the fight.  It was awesome to see people having fun.

As for command, this year was really easy as our major ally was the Midrealm.  We know what they do well, they know what we do well, so planning the battle strategy was pretty simple.  Both generals had very similar ideas on how to use our forces.  It was a real pleasure fighting along side our 40 year enemy for the first time.  I'm hoping that there is a rotation among the new principal kingdoms so that every three years, the East would get to fight with Aelthelmearc, Atlantia, or the Midrealm.

I actually got to fence in a tourney this year.  I've organized the Don/Dona & cadet tournaments for the past 3 years.  For the cadet tournament, Edmund agreed to be marshal in charge so that I could fence in it.  JP has been a tremendous help in organizing the tournament so that it runs fast and is fun.  Without the two of them, I would have been stuck.  Oh, and let me not forget to thank Master Liam, who came to help out with the signups.  So I got to fight in the cadet tournament.  I did ok, losing in my second bout to a black tiger from Northshield (see above about calibration).  I got tentative against him after blocking his chop shot.  In the loser bracket (1 loss bracket) I picked a fight with the guy who won last year and came in second the first year of the tournament.  I was able to take him out.  Overall, I was pleased with my performance.  Wish I had done better.

Regarding Rapier Champions team, I was selected as an alternate.  On Saturday, my knee was killing me, so I told Wyatt, who was organizing this years team, to pull me out of contention for an open slot for Sunday's tournament.  Rain pushed it back to Wednesday, but by then all the spots were filled.  But I was suited up, ready to go in case someone no showed or worse.  I offered to help people warm up and am glad I did.  I warmed up Ian, and while doing so, something clicked inside me.  I was varying my game, trying to push him a little to get him warmed up.  I think I started smiling, beaming inside.  Something had woken up and I started fencing for the joy of it, not pressing.  When Ian won his bout, I was more proud of him than if I had been in the tournament and won a bout myself.  He gave me a big hug and said the warm-up was just what he needed.  I also helped to warm up Orlando and Sean.  All won their bouts and I hoped that I helped them out just a little.

So with a new vision, happiness in my heart, rediscovering my love for the duel, here's hoping 2012/2013 are going to be my year.

No comments:

Post a Comment